Ibi had two main public wash-houses that used the stream flowing from the gorge’s water canal.
The oldest one is known as ‘Llavador dels Malalts’ (‘Sick People’s Wash-House’) or ‘Llavador de Baix’ (‘The Lower Wash-House’) and dates back to 1860.
In 1903, ‘el Llavador de Dalt’ (‘The Upper Wash-House’) was built upstream from the other, next to the preserved building of the Paper Mill. Initially, the site had only the main water canal until the owner of the Paper Mill roofed it in 1903 to provide Ibi with the sheltered wash-house we know today.
The Lower Wash-House was exclusive for the washing of sick people’s clothes and, in this way, prevented infectious water from contaminating the upper healthy people’s wash-house. In 1998, it was refurbished and the roof covering reinstalled.
Besides these two wash-houses, many other tiny hand-washing sites are found by water canals and pools. Inside ‘Los Molinos’ gorge, there is a washing stone basin with a curious name: ‘Lavadero de la Font de la Taula Redona’ (‘The Round Table’s Fountain wash-house’). And also a private use one called ‘de la Font de Santa Maria de Peiró’ belonging to Santa Maria Estate.
In the town’s territory, other worth visiting washing spots are ‘de la Font de la Devesa’ (‘Devesa Fountain’s’) and ‘de la Font de la Pileta’ (Little Basin Fountain’s).